Health Benefits of taking Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar for weight-loss, fat burning, and gut flora balance
These are my top tips on why you should take apple cider vinegar each day to improve your overall health. Sooner or later on your quest to lose weight and to live a healthier lifestyle, you’ll hear some pretty amazing claims being made about the benefits of taking and using apple cider vinegar (ACV).
It has been valued for its health-promoting and antiseptic properties for thousands of years and now it is seen as a superfood. Scientists are keeping themselves busy researching claims that it might be able to protect us against heart disease, cancer, type 2 diabetes and even Alzheimer’s disease. I believe that some of those claims might well turn out to be legitimate, but there are plenty of benefits of this incredible stuff that have already been thoroughly proved.
How to drink Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
1. Have 1 x tablespoon in well diluted in water, each day before meals, It helps you feel fuller for longer I tend to use this drink to take my nutritional supplements at breakfast time, then while I am preparing my other meals and use as a salad dressing at lunchtime. It can help you to stay feeling full so that you are less tempted to snack between meals. It is the pectin from the apple that has this effect.
2. Enjoy AVC before meals as it helps reduces bloating and helps you avoid acid reflux. If your stomach doesn’t produce sufficient acid to cope with a large meal you will digest your food only slowly, and that can result in a build-up of gases that lead to bloating, heartburn and acid reflux. Taking ACV just before a meal creates an acidic environment in your stomach so that it is ready to start digesting food more quickly.
3. Encourages your stomach to digest food and burns fat; the acid in the vinegar helps you to digest the protein in your food more efficiently and boosts your body’s fat-burning potential so that your efforts to control your weight are more successful. A study in Japan in 2009 found that participants who drank ACV daily for 12 weeks reduced their body mass index (BMI), waist size and levels of visceral fat by significantly more than the participants who did not drink it.
4. It helps you to absorb the nutrients you need: similarly, because it helps your stomach to break down your food more efficiently it enables you to absorb vitamins and minerals more effectively by balancing the pH levels in your gut. The ACV also contains several useful trace elements that are vital to good health, including potassium.
5. Has properties that can keep your blood sugar levels stable: there is strong evidence that ACV helps to regulate blood sugar levels and particularly to avoid blood sugar spikes after a large meal. It can do this because it has an anti-glycaemic effect that helps to block the digestion of some of the starch you consume. These spike and the lows that inevitably follow are exhausting. More importantly, avoiding them will leave you at much lower risk of type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
6. Reduces blood pressure and levels of harmful cholesterol: the ACV breaks down fatty deposits in the body, and this can aid circulation and contribute to reducing blood pressure. It contains a range of polyphenols and trace elements that may be helpful in reducing the levels of bad cholesterol in the blood.
7. Has antibacterial properties and can flush your system clean: the ACV contains enzymes that have powerful cleansing and antibacterial properties. A small amount taken in water each day will help to purify your liver and remove nasties throughout your system.
8. It reduces inflammation and yeast overgrowth: If you’ve had a consultation with me or read my e-book, Stop Yo-Yo Dieting, you’ll know that a lot of common health problems – such as sore knees, lower back pain, migraines and tiredness – are caused by inflammation arising from an overburdened liver. ACV taken regularly will help to reduce inflammation as well as yeast overgrowth such as Candida.
9. Gives your skin a healthy glow, you can also use apple cider vinegar as a topical agent to improve your skin still more. Applied externally ACV will help you minimise fine lines and wrinkles. Used in dilute form as a toner it restores your skin’s natural pH balance. It brightens and tightens skin, reduces the appearance of pores and helps to keep skin hydrated so that wrinkles appear reduced.
10. If acne is your problem, it can help there, too as a slightly stronger toner solution will help to heal acne without drying out the surrounding skin. Make up your toner solution depending on the type of skin you have, for normal or dry skin mix one part ACV with two parts water – try one part water to one part ACV for oilier skin. Don’t use ACV on your skin neat!
11. A great natural remedy for sunburn and stings: I really hope you are too switched on to sunbathe and get yourself burnt. But if anyone in your family does toast themselves this year, ACV is a great soother. It reduces inflammation, helps to head off blistering and promotes healing. As always, use it in dilute form – half a cup of ACV to 4 cups of cold water is about right.
12. When applied to insect stings as an antiseptic that will also reduce inflammation, swelling and pain or itching.
13. Added to your bath water, along with your Epsom salt, it relieves itchy skin conditions and softens dry skin. Just a few tablespoons added to your bath water makes a relaxing bath soak that will revive your skin. You won’t smell of vinegar when you get out!
14. It can even do wonders for your hair: A rinse made from one part water to one part ACV can help to detangle, de-frizz, add shine and remove product build up. Used regularly there’s even evidence that it stimulates hair growth and helps to prevent hair loss by stimulating blood flow to hair follicles. Mix up your solution and work it through your hair after washing, leave it in for a few minutes, then rinse with clear water and use your usual conditioner.
Things to remember about Apple Cider Vinegar
As you’ll realise, I’m a firm advocate of the benefits of using apple cider vinegar in lots of different ways. If you’re going to try it, choose a product that has been organically produced and is unfiltered – it should be a bit cloudy and may even have a bit of sediment in the bottom of the bottle.
Lastly, if you are going to drink apple cider vinegar, remember to measure it out carefully, always dilute it well with water and don’t overdo it. Just one or two tablespoons of ACV, a couple of times a day, is all you will need.
If you’d like more information on eating for optimal health and weight loss, or on effective skincare products and treatments, give me a follow my blog for more regular information and advice? It’s free and it could be your first step to feeling fit and looking fantastic all year round.